Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Love Hate Relationship..

I have run without my garmin since October. The tyranny of training is over until the New Year anyway. I have been able to run the entire month of November without checking my pace, suffering through 800 metre repeats, hills, tempo runs nor have I burst into tears on a long run. I have been running socially, enjoying the company of friends and rediscovering why I started running in the first place. So, why don't I just run for fitness and fun? Running has never been particularly competative for me - races have never been venues for me to compete against other runners. I competed against myself only. So why is it that when I train for full marathons I absolutely detest running by the time my race rolls around.


The training is tough - always tougher than the race itself. It's expensive, I sure don't need another Tshirt, sure isn't to see those horrid photographs at the finish line they publish online, I don't expect to qualify for Boston - I know I don't train hard enough for that anyway. Every full marathon I run is my absolute last! There is a definite positive correlation between mileage and hatred - the higher my mileage the higher the hate metre! So why do I race? What is the attraction? Perhaps it is the manifestation of a middle aged crisis - my corvette. Perhaps it is an attempt at preserving my own self esteem - to gain a sense of accomplishment when many of my careeer and family goals have been met.


While I continue to ponder these questions I will revel in my current love affair with running and enjoy until the training begins and the garmin makes its appearance again. I haven't decided yet but I suspect something will pique my interest in the Spring. This hate relationship is like your memory of childbirth - an exhilarating experience (which, just like training, is never consistent with my husband's memory).


Does anyone else have this contradictory relationship with running? Love to hear from you....


The Middle Aged Runner

2 comments:

  1. Surprise Surprise, I'm the polar opposite. I'm not happy unless I'm running 21k or more every weekend. The higher the mileage, the more I like it. I may not be fast but just being out there, I leave the real world behind and before I know it, 2-3 hrs has gone by and I've had a lovely, spiritual, political or philosophical gab session with my running buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of with you Rosemary. Running for me was initially an outlet to becoming physically fit and healthy again but turned into something much more. I have always been a goal oriented person and I like the committment of achieving that goal. Many times I have that love/hate feeling and think my mother is right, a 50 year old man does not need to be doing this crap. I think for me that love/hate feeling is part of the love. For example I hate doing some of Daryl’s track workouts but boy do I love the feeling afterwards. Its hard to explain that to someone. Hate might be too harse a word, more like detest/love. By the way in case you didn’t know I am a recovering GARMIAHOLIC. I actually ran Moncton sans Garmin and darn proud of it!

    ReplyDelete