Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Funny Thing about Runners.....

What motivates a runner to just do it? During the week when I get home from work I want to have a glass of wine and watch Judge Judy. On Saturday mornings I just want to drink coffee and do the crossword puzzle. Usually the last thing I want to do is get dressed (in layers) and go out in the cold, get sweaty, slip and slide sometimes, fall sometimes to run. But, most times I do go out. All I have to do is get to the door. Once I am out the door I'm fine. But I often think about what gets me to the door. Is it one of those annoying "motivational tips" that Runner's World provides every issue? No. Is it my desire to maintain my health? Maybe but that glass of wine contributes to my good health too. So, what truly motivates me to run? I love the social aspect of running. Most of my running friends I only know within a running context - some don't even know who I am if I am not sweaty and in spandex. But I love them, I love talking to them, discussing training problems, celebrating triumphs and sharing disappointments. They are a tremendously generous group of people who enrich my life. They inspire me every day.


For example, I have a friend - let's call her Sherri. Sherri did the Goofy challenge last weekned at Walt Disney World. I won't talk about her training regime which is quite remarkable - that's another blog. Unfortunately, I don't get to see Sherri much as we live in different parts of the city and train with different groups. She is a fervent Facebook fan, however, and utilizes this medium to communicate with a variety of people. Well, I kept abreast of Sherri's trials and tribulations as she prepared for this race - the challenges of running a household, caring for a family, doing her job, training for a long distance race and trying to juggle all those balls in the air. Anyway, Sherri wrote a facebook note the night before her race. She thought very carefully about each mile of the 2 races she was going to run and dedicated a particular mile to particular people or groups of people - those thoughts were what got her through those miles. I was honoured to be on that list. Such gratitude and passion is what motivates me - it's more than having a running buddy - it's a running community. And nowhere will you see a more generous spirit.


Ghandi said be the change you wish to see in the world. I think Sherri is taking that philosophy to heart. She is doing the Goofy Challenge again next year and has initiated a veritable dominos game of running buds who will do it with her. I am one of those dominos and I can't wait to fall next January.



So, here's to Sherri and her ilk! Thank you!



The Middle Aged Runner

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be no falling down at WDW in 2011 my friend, 'cause we are going to be there to hold each other up, cheer until hoarse as each and every one of our running compatriots crosses the finish line on that fateful Sunday and we will RUN (or hobble, in my case last w/e) to embrace that devil of a man/dog who spurred us to reach beyond our limits. I can't wait to see your face when you complete that final .3 mile of your journey. The feelings the flood through your being as you make the final turn in Epcot to come face to face with a stellar Gospel Choir singing you across the finish line is... Well, you'll know soon enough :o) My journey to Goofy this year was a personal one. I fought many demons in 2009 to get to that start line and I left each and every one of them at the finish line last Sunday to battle it out amongst themselves 'cause they sure as heck weren't coming back with me to SJ. You and I are a great deal alike when it comes to our reasons for running... For me, it is a spiritual journey to remind me of how beautiful yet fleeting life is. You have to grab opportunities, make the most of every moment (sorry Brent, got some girlie stuff going on here) and make sure you have lived your day to its fullest potential. Thank you for getting me through those 2 days. You may not have been there physically but your spirit was running right beside me, pacing me and letting me know that this little journey was a cake walk in the grand scheme of life. Man oh Man, I can't WAIT for 2011! Rock On RM!
    ~Peace~

    ReplyDelete