Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hey, Dog Owner...That is not a snowball that just hit you in the back of the head!

I'll be honest. I did some polling before I did this entry. It is very distasteful - anything of a scatological nature seems to make people uncomfortable. I asked people...are you offended by dog shit left in your neighbourhood? " Well, er, ah, as long as it's not in front of my house! " Geez, it's in front of someone's house but as long as it's not your's I guess it's not horribly inconsiderate and offensive. Hmmmm....is it because I am a cat lover and I am not a dog owner or lover, and I have I have no desire to be a dog owner (yes, really). Runners are users of their communities - we care about clear roadways and we care about clean roadways. We also run at night. Mounds of dog poop is not always easy to see!

What has initiated this seemingly sudden spew of wrath? I was running in Rothesay (the capital of dog shit left on the road) a few weekends ago. It was a few days after a snow...white, fluffy, moderate temp, the veritable perfect storm of the winter run. I ran from my house in Quispamsis into Rothesay and ran along a lovely route called Rothesay Park Rd. It is quite beautiful, a small hamlet hidden away from the main road, along the Kennebecassis River....I love running there because it is a microcosm of our greater community, if only for five minutes...fresh air, no traffic, water, and the sounds of nature.... When you enter the street from the Church end the street is fairly congested for the first half of the street. Homes are close together and, surprisingly, there are few walkers. As you run along the loop you become aware of the birds, the river and the majestic trees aligning the route...an oasis in the middle of a busy community - I love running there - even if the loop in only .6 km long. I always include it in my weekend long run.

As you approach the end of the loop the street is less populated, there are fewer homes, fewer people and GUESS WHAT? Lots of dog shit!! This has me totally perplexed. This area is affluent - I mean affluent - there is one property there that has a name - Neverland! I won't tell you what I call it. It is mind boggling to me that community members, neighbours, probably friends, take their dogs, let them shit in front of someone's home, offend walkers and runners using the route, and, obviously, are oblivious to the the consequences of their actions.

I have complained about this issue for a year, much to the chagrin of my family, as they have been the recipients of my rants! I have been thinking about what I can do to remedy this. I have thought about mobilizing the residents of Rothesay Park Rd. Showing them pics of the dog shit in front their homes and telling them that this is what their community members, their neighbours are doing - but, that would require me to take picture of dog shit - not what I consider to be photographic art. Hence, the rationale for this entry. I am not sure if all runners are as offended by dog shit as I am, I am not even sure if all runners are as AWARE of dog shit as I am. I am not even sure if the folks who live there are aware of what I perceive to be a problem!

So, here is my pitch! Are you offended by this scourge too? If so, let me know. This is not just about Rothesay Park Rd. - it is about the beauty of all our communities. Submit your photos and the address where you have captured them. I had this idea as I was writing this week's entry. Let's really talk to the neighbourhoods in which we run - don't let this happen...I don't want to blog about this...gawd...I want to talk about Runner's High...not Turds in Rothesay...

Better still - when you submit your photos I will go to that HOUSE, show them the pics and tell them that this is what their neighbours have been doing! This must stop!!

If you have read this entire entry - thank you - I have wanted to get this off my shoulders for a long time. If I receive photos I will post them along with responses I get from home owners. But, I promise I will get back to real running issues next week.

Now, am I whacked or what? Anyone else notice this?

The Middle Aged Runner

4 comments:

  1. wow im from rothesay isle of bute scotland and i thought we were the dog sh## capital of the world.we have a population of 7000 the local vet has 900 dogs registered.MIND WHERE YOU TREAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey "just seaweed". Although I am happy to hear from someone on the other side of the pond, I am certainly not happy to hear that the dog dodo problem is global in scope! Perhaps we either need to: 1) notify Hallmark and create a "Pick up after your &*^%%%%$@# Dog Day" or 2) Be more vocal about the gastrointestinal contents of pets being left on the streets of your community - be the change you want to see! Cheers.
    The Middle Aged Runner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Rosemary first with the funny stuff. Do you know you said the word SHIT or facsimily of, ten times in your rant. You can thank George Carlin for this as he was the one who made it acceptable to say the word shit. Shit was one of the original 7 bad words you can’t say on television. Now you hear shit all the time. Shit, you can pretty much say any shit now on tv. I said Shit 7 times in my response. Smiley face attached here.

    Ok now to be serious, I know you were serious but it still cracked me up reading this entry. Everything you said I could not agree more. I am a former cat owner and currently a two dog owner. I love them like my kids and treat them like my kids. It irks me to no end to watch people walking their dogs and letting them crap wherever. It does not matter where. You can run in downtown Saint John and see very big piles of crap. I feel like packing a small plastic bag, pick the crap up and follow the lazy bastards to their home and throw it on their doorstep. Spring is coming and it will only get worse. One thing we could do is take pictures and accept pictures then batch them up and send them to the appropriate town council and just show them how bad a problem it is.

    While we are on this shitty subject (shit that’s two more shits, no three), I also hate people that smoke and flick their butts where ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tim. You are correct on the George Carlin piece - he enabled this discussion to be had without euphemisms :o).

    From the feedback I have been receiving it seems as though anyplace is game to let your dog empty his colon. I certainly don't blame the dogs - when you gotta go, you gotta go. I am sure most dog owners are responsible but many go out cloaked and hidden in the darkness and let their dogs go. That in itself tells me this is unacceptable. I'll go for your picture idea - sending it to town council. As much as I would hate to spend my camera time with these horrid subjects i could do that!
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete