Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Outside the Comfort Zone

Tonight was the first night of interval training for me. I have been running all winter at the same pace - quite comfortably - never pushing the envelope, never wanting to get uncomfortable, never upping the pace. Tonight at the track was a different story. Coach Daryl was very kind in his routines tonight, knowing we were all gradually waking from our winter hibernations. So, I ran my 400s and 800s. And I honestly tried to run faster than I usually do. Around and around the track. High School rugby team practicing in the field - I didn't even notice them - so intense was my pace checking. Of course, didn't have my glasses on so i couldn't see anything on my garmin anyway but judging from the heaviness in my legs and my rather rapid respiratory rate I would guess that I was running faster than my usual pace. That's a good thing right? Don't intervals increase your VO2 max or your anerobic threshold or something? Improves performance, right? Isn't that the bottom line? But, should middle aged runners really care about performance?

This is something I have grappled with for a long time. Can I actually achieve PRs at my age? Or has that ship sailed? Should I just continue to run because I enjoy it and it keeps me fit? Or am I able to improve my times if I work hard enough? I am just not convinced that is my reality. I remember being in a spin class one day thinking that the workout was great - I was working hard, really hard. Then I got a glimpse of myself in the mirror and it looked as though I was moving in slow motion. I started to question why I was doing this - why was I working so hard for so little return? Then I wondered if I was in fact working hard. I honestly don't know if I was then or I am willing to now. Am I really willing to cross over the comfort threshold? This is the season's challenge.

Back to the track. Here's a little honesty - I gotta tell ya - I hate interval training - I hate the track - I hate the discomfort I feel - I hate that I hate this workout. And as the Spring turns into summer and the days get warmer and I am ready to spontaneously combust right there on the track - probably in front of children - the point is I will be there on the track. Truth is - this workout doesn't help me to get any faster but it does help me survive the races. I know I'll go back week after week because of that. I'll also go back for the comraderie and support of other runners, for the incredible generosity of our coach Daryl Steeves who so willingly shares his knowledge and limited time, and for the opportunity to push this old lady butt around the track at a faster pace than usual. And, I will hate it!

See you next week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment