Wednesday, April 28, 2010

When Your "Run" Becomes Your "Runs"

Runner's trots, runner's diarrhea...whatever you call it, it's a recipe for a ruined workout. It is estimated that 20-50% of runners suffer from this problem. I am one of them. My problem occurs when I run after 5pm. Not in the morning, not in the early afternoon, not when I run at 4:30. Thankfully, it has never happened during a race which typically are in the morning (oh, I hope I haven't jinxed myself!!) It happens when I run with my running club. You know, when you're running with someone it's difficult to be discrete. You are forced to tell your running partner what the problem is and your running partner is forced to listen to you talk about your cranky colon. When the "discomfort" sets in, it's all you can think about, it can lead to panic and can lead to desperate measures. Desperate measures for me, by the way, is ...errrr....solving the problem outside a conventional bathroom. Ahhh, in the the woods, if you're lucky enough to be running in a desolate enough area. Seems to be an easy thing for men. But, man, for me, it is extremely difficult and has only happened on a few occasions when there was no other alternative.

So, what causes runner's trots? Well, most sources cite two common theories. One is the diversion of blood from the GI tract to the legs which results in a lack of oxygen to the tissues. This, in turn, interferes with normal function and causes irritation to the bowel wall - cramping. The second theory is the simple "jiggling" motion of running stimulating peristalsis (muscle movement of the digestive tract) and subsequent cramping. Some runners begin to feel peristaltic contractions (cramps) shortly after they begin running which supports the "jiggling" theory. I start to feel discomfort about 3-5 km into my run which supports the blood diverstion theory. Who knows? What I do know for sure is that it is extremely distressing regardless of the cause.

So, what do you do about it? I was hoping to recommend a source that provided really good information about this issue but, despite how common the problem is, many running sites and mags give short shrift to the problem and advise most to ensure your route has public washrooms :o(...From my reading and my own experience I found that avoiding dehydration is crucial, don't eat within 2 hours of your run, don't chew gum EVER, I once thought a banana an hour or 2 prior would be helpful - wouldn't swear by it though. If you find one time of the day is better for you run then. Unfortunately, my schedule does not allow that during the week. Some runners are aggravated by caffeine - I have coffee in the morning and that pretty much takes care of everything! No applicable in the evening. Journal what you eat and see if there are any irritants, dairy, fibre, etc. The type of food does not seem to matter for me.

The most ridiculous piece of advice that I have heard is "go before you go out on your run". Oh, I haven't thought of that!! Geez...Oh, and then there are the folks who, when they're racing, decide that stopping is just not an option and, well, just go....YouTube has left the memory of many of these poor schleps to posterity. Just search "poopy runner" and you'll see what I mean.

It's amazing to me that a problem that is so prevalent does not seem to have a solution. We have genius engineering for shoes and clothing why not for a problem that seems to affect the majority of us? Asics? Nike? Fuel Belt? Where are you? I have never taken a medication for this but I have tried everything else. Am going to take Immodium next week (about an hour before my run) just to see, just to see IF IT WORKS!

Done.

The Middle Aged Runner

2 comments:

  1. Don't eat dinner (supper) until AFTER you run maybe? That way, lunch is well on its way to being digested and your colon isn't quite so... cranky. Used to work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen. Wish it were that simple. I typically do not eat anything at least 2 or 3 hours prior to running. I will occasionally drink some gatorade if I haven't had much during the day and will occasionally have a banana 1 or 2 hours prior.

    ReplyDelete