Wednesday, May 5, 2010

omg MOM! "Runs" Part 2..

The title? Oh, that was the reaction of my daughter upon reading my last entry. Obviously, a youthful GI tract! I, quite frankly, was very surprised to see the lack of response to my last post considering that up to 50% of runners suffer from this condition. Apparently, they suffer in silence or they just don't give a sh** (lol) when they have to run into the bushes to, you know, sh**.

Shortly after that post I had a colleague send me and email. He said, "Dairy! That's the culprit!! Cut it out!" I honestly didn't think I consumed that much dairy. But then I started to think - cream in my coffee, milk in my cereal, yogurt always at lunch. Hmmm...maybe I'll try it - I had always thought my fibre intake was the bad guy. So, my two cups of coffee in the am - black. Breakfast - no cereal for this chick - toast with peanut butter. Lunch - NO YOGURT, NO CHEESE. OK colon - your move! Sunday run - morning - not my high risk time - no problem. Monday - 10 k run at 6pm - high risk time period and history of problems (Superstore stop!) NO PROBLEM - not even an inkling, not a rumble, not a twinge, not a thought that turned into something else!

OK maybe that was an aberrant day. Tuesday - track day - high risk time - 5:30pm - history of problems (but it was at the University so access was no issue). NO PROBLEM - no inkling, no rumbling, nada!

OK - the big test - my Wednesday running group!! Historically, my biggest challenge! Here was the test. Groooaaaan....started feeling that bloatiness before I went...waaahhhh, it's not dairy. But, I bucked up, I went out for my 8 k run with my club. As I pointed out last week, however, when you run with someone they become a little more familiar with your colon than you or they ever wanted to be. Cramps, etc. had to stop a few times!! Oh, I was so disappointed!!! But, because, you become so obsessed with this horrid feeling that is all you talk about on your run. My running partner asked me what I had for lunch. Well, I had Butternut Squash soup - it must have been the fibre! "Was it homemade?" "No, Knorr". "Anytime I ever made that soup I put cream in it"......"AHA!"...Of course, the soup was made with cream! How stupid was I to not check the label! Thanks Sharon!

So, my conclusion this week is the problem is, in fact, dairy. My true evaluation will be next Wednesday though. Will look forward to my ultimate test next week.

Here's to your colon - if you're over 50 and are of average risk for colon cancer talk to your doctor about a fecal occult blood test - it's a screening test for cancer, and, no, it's not a blood test. But it can a problem early!

The Middle Aged Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment