Monday, November 23, 2009

Nighttime Running: What a Feeling

November 23, 2009

One of my running buds has a few spare hours on Monday evening and suggested this was a good opportunity for a group run. I took him up on it. Three of us started out at 6pm and ran 10 km in the dark. I adore running in the dark of night (or early evening). What do i love about it? Rarely any wind, the temperature is perfect, you can't actually see the hills in front of you and you can see inside of homes through the windows (if you're looking for decorating ideas or if you're just nosy - I won't say which describes me). I certainly don't like the traffic and, as is the custom in the Valley, the traffic doesn't like us but when we turned onto the less traveled road the quiet was wonderful. The three of us running but chatting too - during the uphills there is no chatting though - the only sound the echo of our feet on the pavement in concert with our breathing.

I feel strangely anonymous when I run at night. Nobody knows who I am, no tooting of horns to acknowledge my presence, no recognition - just a dark figure glowing with reflective tape one with my surrounding. There were a few points where I felt strangely disembodied - like i experienced a fugue state. Maybe that happens in the daytime too but I seem to be more conscious of it at night.

Thank you to Brent and Claire for a great run! We'll do it again Wednesday night too!

Til next time.
The Middle Aged Runner

2 comments:

  1. Enlightened steps in the dark dimension. Night running does provide a heightened opportunity for reflection and thought. Great article Rosemary. I look forward to hearing the steps of the Middle Aged Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. Hope you continue to contribute! It's a learning experience (and uncomfortable) for me and one that, even this early in the game, has been very cathartic.

    ReplyDelete