Sunday, November 22, 2009

What has running given me?

November 22, 2009

What an exciting day! My very first post on my very first blog. Why did I start this? Well, good question. I am a runner and I am 51 years old and I am a woman. I found there were plenty of websites that gave women tips on running skirts, on breaking 3 hours in a marathon, on organizing your workouts around your childcare, on just about everything that does not apply to me.


I want to create a forum that talks about my reality: fatigue (I mean real fatigue), aching joints, running with bunions (gawd), coping with my times getting slower when everyone else's are getting faster, the fact that there just aren't that many women over 50 who are running (who I know anyway). Most importantly, however, I want to articulate the incredible gifts that running has given me - appreciating the beauty of my environment, meeting a most wonderful community of friends and supporters and the incredible strength of spirit that comes with being fit and healthy.


So here is my first post. In future I would like to share the trials and tribulations of running at middle age - I will be discussing winter running, treadmills, running fashion (hehe), ageism and a myriad of other topics generated from my own thoughts and experiences. And I would like to share the experiences of others (ah, men and younger folk welcome).


Hope to hear from others. And away we go...
The Middle Aged Runner

2 comments:

  1. As a man and a younger folk I would like to comment that I believe Ageism is a condition that seems to primarily affects women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your attempt to be sexist is quite transparent DF! Increasing your weekely mileage will put you in touch with your inner thoughts more effectively...;o)

    ReplyDelete