Saturday, November 28, 2009

The RPM Thong

I started spin classes about two years ago and found that they were a great cross training activity. I usually try and take in one class per week while I am training and a little more often in the off season. Of course, the middle aged muscles need some time to warm up so i have to get on the treadmill and run about 20 minutes or so before my class so i am ready for the rigourous workout. The warm up facilitates my focus during the class.

So on Thursday in my class I go, get on my bike, spend some time warming up. Oh, by the way, I like the back row, why? Don't know, have never really analyzed why. Maybe it's because I am an INTP, maybe it's because I don't want anyone behind me checking out whether or not I am actually applying load where I should, maybe it's because, at my personal core, I am an observer of people. At any rate this issue of the back row may or may not be germane to my topic, however, my back row position enabled me to observe this phenomenon. Young woman (early 30s) gets on her bike about 2 rows in front of me. I have a clear view since she is in front of the instructor. Our class starts, warm up track, interval track starts - ok let's do it I am thinking. As i start increasing my pace my eyes are drawn to the rear end of this young woman and what do I see? The top of a thong protruding from the top of her capris. OMG, i could think of nothing else for the rest of the class. There went my focus. How can she stand it? That must be uncomfortable! That thong is GONE! Her arse must be killing her! Of all the places where thongs should NOT be worn this is on of them. Do you think I was being judgemental? I don't think so - perhaps others have a different opinion. As I get older I am increasingly concerned about comfort. (Hence Naturalizer shoes and Northern Reflections full of aging baby boomers). It took me two years to buy the appropriate shoes for spin. I also recently purchased shorts that are designed for triathletes - just enough padding to make the saddle a little bit more comfortable. My mantra when i was younger was "I'd rather look good than feel good" - not so now. Although I am still addicted to high heels the notion of comfort is becoming increasing important to me. So, I seek out solutions to discomfort.

Even in my vainest hour, however, I don't think I would have worn a thong to spin.

I would let you know if the same woman wears it again but, of course, don't be surprised when I tell you that I have no idea what she looks like! Hope she is beside me instead of in front of me though!

The Middled Aged Runner.

2 comments:

  1. What time is your spin class Rosemary? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog, and I'm enjoying reading it. A very public medium for an INTP!

    ReplyDelete