Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sharing the Olympic Spirit

November 25, 2009

Tim, one of my running friends, had the experience of a lifetime yesterday. He carried the Olympic torch in his own hometown. We have known he was going to be a bearer for a long time...since the summer but, at that time, I don't think any of us could have anticipated the tidal wave of excitement and pride that would overtake us as the moment grew closer.

For those of us who know Tim, he is a man of few words, not one interested in idle chit chat during our group runs. A stoic runner - rabid in his training but certainly not adverse to a few Alpines on his off days. Basically, the best running partner - a listener - one who would let you blab on ad nauseum about this ache or that pain or some other mundane issue. I knew him for 2 years before I found out he played the fiddle - and plays it as a regular volunteer at a local nursing home.

As the time for Tim's torch bearing grew closer I started to see a different side of Tim. One that was so expressive and vocal in his anticipation of this experience. He deadpanned 3 weeks before the run that he would be beginning his taper for the 300m which I found extraordinarily funny (since it was past my own marathon - oh, enough about me). Then the time came and went. The torch is now on to other parts of the province and it is a memory for most of us.

For Tim, it is something much more. I asked him what was most memorable about his run - he said seeing all the children from a Daycare Centre out on the road to cheer him on was very gratifying. I was reminded of someone who told me they always remembered seeing Terry Fox run through their community and not realizing at the time that they were witness to what would be a historicial moment in Canadian history. I wonder if any of these children will always remember seeing Tim with that torch and, if they do, I hope that they will have been inspired in some way during their lives. I know I have.

Proud to know you Tim!
The Middle Aged Runner

3 comments:

  1. Excellent observation, as a society we often look towards those we see in the media for inspiration (re Oprah or Dr. Phil) when the most powerful sources can be found in one's own backyard. I know my two sons (5 and 7)were visible afected by being able to see the torch pass through Rothesay, and having the chance to get their picture taken with the Olympic torch bearer was something they will always remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosemary for the kind words, you are a great friend as well. You are right I was excited and very proud of this honour I was given but I did not expect the tidal wave of excitement and pride from the many friends, family and strangers that got wrapped up in this. I was given this opportunity by Coke because of my commitment to active living and possibly an example for others to do the same. That expectation humbles me as I did not see myself as someone in that position. This experience has afforded me that opportunity and I plan to fulfill it.

    Tim

    Ps: This might be a duplicate response, still a rookie on this blog /facebooky stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am struck by how we tend to think that inspiring others is a heroic effort as Dan alluded to. i don't think it is. I am inspired every day in so many ways by so many people.

    Tim, I was inspired by you long before you carried the torch!

    ReplyDelete